If you think American whiskey is just whiskey that’s made in America…you’re absolutely right, nice work. Best known for our bourbon, the U.S. is in the top 10 of countries when it comes to whiskey production worldwide.What’s the difference between American whiskey and bourbon?
American whiskey is the category, and bourbon is the type. Bourbon is made primarily from corn, whereas American whiskey can be made from a variety of grains, but both are made exclusively in the United States.Are There Different Kinds of American Whiskey?
America is well known for its diversity, and our whiskey is no different. We might be best known for our bourbon, but there are actually several types of American whiskey. Typically categorized by the ingredients used in the distillation process, here are the most common types of American whiskey.
- Bourbon whiskey: By far the most popular type of American whiskey, bourbon is made from at least 51% corn (maize).
- Tennessee whiskey: Usually made from corn in a similar style to bourbon, but with a maple filtration system post-distillation.
- Rye whiskey: made from at least 51% rye and is a style common in other countries as well.
- Malt whiskey: aged in charred, unused oak barrels and made from at least 51% malted barley.
- Wheat whiskey: pretty mellow for an American whiskey and made from at least 51% wheat.
- Corn whiskey: made from at least 80% corn and is an old fashioned whiskey that’s currently experiencing a resurgence in the whiskey world.
Because there are so many styles, taste really varies. If you’re busting open a bottle of bourbon, expect strong vanilla, oak and caramel flavors. Tennessee whiskey is like bourbon but smoother and sweeter, thanks to slow filtration through sugar-maple charcoal after it’s distilled. Rye whiskey has a unique spice, while wheat whiskey is sweet and mellow. Whatever your whiskey flavor preference, America’s got you covered.Can I get American Whiskey Delivered?
This is America, you can get anything delivered. If you want American Whiskey delivered to your door in minutes, with no delivery fee, then Saucey’s got you covered.What’s the Best American Whiskey?
Known for its reliably smooth and sweet flavor, Jack Daniels No. 7 Tennessee Whiskey is an excellent starting point for when it comes to exploring the world of American Whiskey. If you’re more of a bourbon drinker, then look no further than Jim Beam Bourbon.